Brown vs White Rice – Which Is Better For Your Health
Brown vs White Rice – Which Is Better For Your Health : Are you a vegan or follow some restrictions on your diet? Then you might be struggling to fill your daily requirements of nutrients. If you think to have rice, then a lot of questions come to your mind. Which type of rice you should eat? Is brown rice or white rice better for health or white rice healthy? From this article, you can get all your answer.
Rice, its scientific name is (Oryza sativa). It is a necessary and primary food crop grown all over the world. There are various types of rice — such as long-grain basmati, black rice, white rice, and sticky (or glutinous) rice — but with the concern to health benefits, not all rice benefit equally.
“Unpolished rice” is brown rice. Brown rice contains unsaturated fatty acids, protein, minerals, vitamins, and starch but during polishing that is normally removed. It is eaten as food and also taken as medicine. Therefore we prefer unpolished rice rather than polished one .
According to the usage of brown rice, it is prepared likewise. As per the George Mateljan Foundation for the World’s Healthiest Foods, which promotes the benefits of healthy eating states that Is brown rice or white rice better for health is a whole grain, and it contains three parts of the grain kernel: the outer, fiber-filled layer called the bran, the nutrient-rich core called the germ, and the starchy middle layer called the endosperm in accordance with the Harvard T. H. Chan School of Public Health (HSPH). The outer, uneatable hull is removed. On the other hand, in white rice both the bran and nutritious germ removed, ultimately peel it of all its nutritional parts. Normally this process is done with white rice to improve its taste, prolong its shelf life and enhance its cooking qualities. If we consider rice calorie as a metric then white rice is higher in calories and contains fewer nutrients and fiber than brown rice. Per 100gm white rice calorie is 151 where as brown rice calorie is only 111.
Brown rice is an excellent plant source of amino acids (the building blocks of protein) that is a good protein alternative for people who are lactose intolerant. Furthermore, it is hypoallergenic (i.e. it may cause allergic reactions than many other protein sources) and it’s easily digested.
Alone, brown rice can’t provide all of the nine essential amino acids that the body requires. That’s the reason to compensate for the lacking of brown rice nutrition, brown rice protein powder contain quinoa or chia proteins. We can get raw organic brown rice protein powder in the market easily. From organic sprouted Is brown rice or white rice better for health brown rice protein powder this brown rice protein powder is made.
According to a study about Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy protein powder vs whey protein(hyperlink), it is concluded that brown rice protein powder works as an excellent alternative to whey protein(hyperlink) or soy protein(hyperlink) for those individuals who have restrictions on diet, allergies, sensitivities, or simply those who consume vegetarian food or plant-based source of protein. Literally, brown rice powder contains 37% of the total protein and essential amino acids.
Brown rice is a highly nutritious food. It is a whole grain that is relatively low in calories (216 calories per cup), but high in fiber, gluten-free and can be included in a variety of dishes.
The rice protein market of U.K., i.e. one of the major markets in the whole world. U.K accounts for one-fifth of the total worldwide market. With the growing tendency of consumption of plant-based products across the country, the market of rice protein in the country is growing at a steady rate.
Increasing consciousness of Brown rice protein all over the world especially UK and Malaysia-
One of the crucial factors for the increase of the market of rice protein in the U.K is increasing ethical concerns towards the animals. People in the UK are preferring more to consume animal-free diets which have resulted in the rapidly growing market of plant-based products. Another important factor is an increase in Is brown rice or white rice better for health consciousness among the people, especially among the young generations and adults. In addition to that, the trend to go for gyms and fitness session has been rising continuously. All these factors have affected to steady increase the demand for Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy protein powder in the UK.
Previously, Malaysians were not consuming enough of fruits and vegetables compared to their consumption of other basic foods such as meat and Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy rice. Deficiency of vegetable and fruit led to imbalance diet among the Malaysians which increased the risk of non-communicable diseases (NCDs). That’s why functional diets have gained a lot of attention for their promising role in the prevention of non-communicable diseases with an increasing realization of the role of diet in the pathogenesis of certain chronic diseases. The consumption of brown rice powder in Malaysia is gaining appreciation among health-conscious individuals due to its better nutritive value compared to polished rice or white rice.
Brown rice benefits –
The brown rice benefits are largely due to it being a whole grain.
How Brown rice benefits in terms of health (hyperlink)-
- As per the study in HSPH, the brown rice nutrition, fiber helps to lower cholesterol, moves waste through the digestive tract, develop fullness, and may help to prevent the formation of blood clots.
- Brown rice is studied as a very low “glycemic index” food. The glycemic index (GI) refers to how rapidly and how much a food raises blood sugar of a person after eating, according to HSPH. The foods come under low-GI have a rating of 55 or less; the average GI for brown rice is 55. White rice has an average GI rating of 64, making it a medium-GI food.
- Is brown rice or white rice better for health Is brown rice or white rice better for health is beneficial for diarrhea, upset stomach and other stomach problems, fluid retention, intestinal worms, yellowed skin (jaundice), thiamine deficiency (beriberi), burns, nosebleed, fever, vomiting blood, swelling (inflammation), paralysis, hemorrhoids, and psoriasis and many other skin diseases.It is also utilized as an appetite stimulant, drying agent (astringent), a soothing agent (demulcent), and tonic.
- It is not known to all that how brown rice might work for medical conditions also. Research suggests that brown rice can prevent some of the heart-related problems of diabetes. There are also some proves that it can keep some kinds of cancer cells from multiplying.
Brown rice powder as a baby cereal-
- It’s really surprising that brown rice protein powder which is normally used as baby cereal has the closest amino acid spectrum to mother’s milk, even though it is 100% dairy and lactose-free. This makes brown rice protein so highly digestible and hypo-allergenic.
Brown rice is more nutrient-rich food than Is brown rice or white rice better for health . This is because brown rice remains its natural goodness and not highly processed. It is affordable to buy but it will take a little more time than white rice. So many mothers prefer Brown rice nutrition for their baby .
How to make baby cereal using brown rice?
Brown rice nutrition is more preferable than white rice because of its Is brown rice or white rice better for health ful values. But remember that it will take a longer time to cook unless you have pre-soaked it. Here are some other suggestions-
- Combine cooked brown rice or brown rice powder with warm breast milk or formula, then add a little touch of cinnamon or nutmeg.
- Blend cooked brown rice (either ground or regular) or brown rice powder with a dollop of unflavoured natural yogurt and a fruit puree of your baby’s choice!
- Mix cooked brown rice with steamed vegetables – you can either grind the veggies and mix with brown rice powder or just chop them if your little one is happy to chew!
- Cook a little batch of short sprouted brown rice, clump it together with your fingers and serve it to your baby as a very Is brown rice or white rice better for health finger food.
Numerous brown rice benefits to bodybuilders –
When it comes to strengthening and muscle building in bodybuilders and athletes, brown rice protein is an ultimate solution to it.
- In a research conducted by the University of Tampa in the USA, which observed experienced bodybuilders on different diets over the course of eight weeks, researchers mainly concentrated on four key metrics: recovery and soreness, the growth of muscle, body composition change, and strength development.
- In research, they found exactly the similar results in all four metrics who used plant-based Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy protein i.e. unpolished rice or Brown rice nutrition as their diet as well as in those who used animal-based whey protein(hyperlink) from milk.
- There are no remarkable differences in soreness or recovery time, both groups showed greater improvement in power, muscle mass, and body composition, as well as a decrease in body fat, resulting in that Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy protein benefits greatly to the bodybuilders.
Brown rice benefits for skin
- Delays Premature Aging
Brown rice is packed with proteins, which helps to repair damaged skin, protecting it from wrinkles, sagging skin, and fine lines. One of the main reason of aging is fluctuating blood sugar levels, which lead to stress. Brown rice contents complex carbohydrates help to regulate the blood sugar levels, prevent from premature aging. Rice bran also works effectively when applied topically, in preventing wrinkles.
- Maintains Elasticity of skin
The selenium present in brown rice helps to maintain skin elasticity and prevent skin inflammation.
- Cures Eczema
For soothing eczema, the high starch content of brown rice works efficiently. You need to dip a clean cloth in brown rice water and gradually pat the affected area with it. Repeat the procedure for five minutes and let it dry.Doing this process daily twice for 10 days will certainly provide relief from the skin disorder.
- Soothes Rashes And Sunburns also
The high anti-inflammatory and cooling properties of Brown rice handle rashes and sunburns effectively. It helps to recover our skin from damage, protecting it from forming any marks. Simply you have to apply brown rice water to the affected area once a day to see the immediate effects.
Brown rice benefits for face
To make your face blemish free the rich content of fiber and other essential minerals in brown rice work nicely. It also works as a powerful exfoliant to your face to make it beautiful. They develop cell growth and stimulate blood flow in our skin, providing you a vibrant and bright appearance.
Brown rice is full of antioxidants, vitamins, and magnesium, which protect the skin from blemishes and acne breakouts.
When we use white rice, insulin produced by it and it leads to the production of sebum on the skin. Excess sebum is not good for skin and it can cause acne. Brown rice efficiently prevents this problem.
The astringent and cooling properties of Brown rice, which works best when used on the breakouts. It clams the burns and helps to decrease the redness surrounding the acne.
Brown Rice Benefits to our precious hair –
Brown rice boost the health of hair. It contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin E, folacin, potassium and a number of fiber—all of which are required for healthy hair.
- Improve the condition of Damaged Hair
Our hair needs various minerals and nutrients to grow. And brown rice is a powerhouse of all these nutrients.
It treats the scalp and roots of hair, prevent them from breaking. Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy also contains proteins that help cell growth and blood supply to the scalp, making them a perfect ingredient to treat damaged hair.
- Works As A Natural Hair Conditioner
Brown rice has loads of nutrients, fiber, and starch which enables our tresses fine and shiny.
- Treats Dandruff
Brown rice is highly rich in selenium, a mineral helps to decrease dandruff production in hair. If we use it regularly, it promotes healthy hair growth. You have to simply massage your hair and scalp with freshly made rice water twice a week. This procedure will ensure proper blood flow and supply of nutrients to your hair follicles.
Is presence of Arsenic affects the brown rice benefits?
In the year of 2012, Consumer Reports published an article stating that arsenic is present naturally in a number of foods, it is more likely to harm brown rice because brown rice absorbs a heavy amount of water while growing. However, the Food and Drug Administration analysed more over 1,000 rice samples, and in 2014 stated that “the arsenic levels that FDA found in the samples it evaluated were so low to cause any immediate or short-term adverse Is brown rice or white rice better for health health effects.” The FDA advised maintaining a diet that incorporates a number of whole grains. According to the FDA, those who are very much concerned about arsenic levels can cook their Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy in six times the normal amount of water and reduce the arsenic level by about half to get the previous brown rice benefits.
Special Precautions & Warnings:
Here are some side-effects and special precautions associated with Is brown rice healthy or white rice healthy , which when ignored can cause severe problems:
- Some people have an allergy to brown rice, especially those who have allergies to soy, nuts, and gluten. So try it first and make sure that you are not allergic to Brown rice then consume it in large quantity.
- Don’t store brown rice for more than six days in the refrigerator. With time, the nutrient-rich environment can breed some microorganisms in that.
- Avoid eating brown rice in large quantities because it contains a high concentration of arsenic which can damage your organ, tissue, and eventually death. So please be cautious about it