Foods containing Carbohydrates
Foods containing Carbohydrates: Have you ever wondered how your diet affects your body? we eat daily and approximately 3-4 times a day but we are hardly aware of the nutrients that we are consuming in our diet. Our body is made up of cells and thus it requires various vitamins, minerals, and nutrients to make it through. There are several chemical reactions that take place in our body with the help of these foods.
Our diet mainly consists of one of the three nutrients – carbohydrates, protein and fat, for once we can survive on fat and nutrients for a short period of time but if we do not consume carbohydrate for a long time then we may die because of the lack of it.
Most of the times we blindly believe on people and the information that they provide, if someone says carbohydrates are bad for the body we blindly trust them without looking for effective reasons. Not many people are aware of it but carbohydrates are one of the most important nutrients for our body. A lot of chemical reactions occur in the body only because of the presence of carbohydrates in our diet.
In this article you will get to know the advantages, its formation, how does it work wonders for the body and everything related to carbohydrates. Now having said that let’s take a deep dive-in in details about carbohydrates.
So, basically, there are three different types of carbohydrates found in food: Sugar, starch, and fibre.
- Sugar: Sugar is one of the most common ingredients that Foods containing Carbohydrates our taste buds are fond of and they can be found in many foods including fruits, milk, honey, and vegetables. These are available in the right amount in foods thus they are very healthy. Also, processed sugar is added while cooking food or in fruit juices, biscuits, cookies, yoghurt, and cold drinks at the time of manufacturing as well. We do not want to comprise on taste unless and until we are prohibited from eating that due to any chronic disease.
Sugar basically is good for health in the right amount, but when taken excessively, it might adversely affect the body and might result in several chronic diseases such as diabetes, tooth decay and gain in weight. Despite for the naturally occurring sugar, rest all types of processed sugar that are added into cold drinks, fruit juices, biscuits et cetera are counted as free sugars and must not be consumed in large quantity.
- Starch: The starchy food mostly comes from plants, the sugar units bond together to form starch, and the food rich in starch that we eat are all derived from plants. Starchy food provides energy throughout the day in a slow and steady manner, some of the common starchy foods are potato, bread, rice and pasta et cetera.
Starchy food is the main source of energy in the body as well as they form the main source of a range of nutrients in our body. People usually mistake them for increasing fat in the body the real truth is that they are rich in calcium, iron and B Vitamins.
The wholegrain variety of starchy foods are a rich source of fibre in the body, particularly when eaten with their skin on. Fibre is very healthy for our body and helps us keep our bowel healthy and feel full throughout the day, that makes us feel full in the tummy. These foods will keep you full and will help you maintain your diet as well as your health.
- Fibre: Our body requires all types of nutrients in the body and taking enough fibre will help us protect ourselves from the chronic diseases such as heart attacks, heart stroke or disease, type 2 diabetes and cancer.
Fibre-rich food is very important for the body and it is estimated that on an average an adult must consume, 30g of fibre daily, but that does not happen mostly which is why it is important for us to find out a way so that we can increase our fibre intake in the body. Choosing fibre rich foods will help make our tummy feel fuller and also will help make digestion better and prevent the causes of constipation.
Carbohydrates play a vital role in the nutrient’s intake in our body and we are very well aware that it is the largest source of energy in our body, but we are not aware of the other benefits that we get from the carbohydrate-rich foods, so let us have a look at that.
Benefits of Foods containing Carbohydrates
- Provides Energy: Foods containing Carbohydrates are the body’s main source of energy, the diet that is rich in Foods containing Carbohydrates are a rich source of glucose that promotes different activities in the body. The food is broken down into glucose i.e. sugar then it is absorbed in the bloodstream and after that, it enters the bloodstream through the help of insulin. The glucose present in the body helps us perform different activities throughout the day whether it is running or walking.
- Prevents weight gain: Carbohydrates consist of a wide range of food and there are basically three types of them, one of which is fibre. Fibre rich diet helps you to maintain a balanced diet and proper weight, it might sometimes also help in the reduction of weight.Consuming fibre rich diet makes your stomach feel full for a longer time period, giving your brain a signal that you are full for a longer period so that you eat a lesser number of times, thus eating more fibre content will help you eat healthily as well as will help you maintain your proper weight.
- Protects and makes heart healthy: Carbohydrates these days are not available in their purest form and thus are available in the processed form also, which do not have any health benefits for the body. If you prefer to eat freshly cut oats and less processed fibre rich foods than your chances of expecting a good heart health are high. It helps improve the blood lipid values protecting your heart against several heart diseases and damages.
- Improves Brain Performance: Carbohydrates have the ability to sharpen your mental health and the functioning of your brain. They have the ability to make your brain sharp and improve its health making the performance better. The people who take low carb diet they are likely to experience duller and less mental performance. Thus, for people who have more brain work, for them, it is very important to consume a diet rich in carbohydrates.
- Decreases the Calorie Intake: Consuming food rich in Carbohydrates will help you provide a good amount of fibre in your diet that will help you add advantage into your diet plan as well. An intaking diet rich in Foods containing Carbohydrates will help you replace the fatty, sugary foods and drinks in your diets and thus will help reduce the amount of calorie content in your diet. Also, high fibre food will help you feel full most of the time helping you avoid overeating and intaking proper nutrients rich food.
- Reduces the Risk of Cancer: Cancer is one of the biggest chronic diseases and people do what not to avoid that from happening. When considering a diet plan that is rich in carbohydrates one must opt for foods that are actually different from the normal food that we consume, some of them including onions, tomatoes and bell peppers are very good for prevention of cancer. These are rich in anti-oxidants and help you to combat abnormal cellular growth. These provide glucose slowly to the body that helps in the reduction of nutrients to them and cell death or apoptosis may occur.
- Improves Digestion: carbohydrates play a vital role in maintaining a healthy body especially the consumption of fibre is really very important for the body and plays a vital role and is an important component of intestinal health. Fibre-rich foods help the foods and waste materials inside the body to move out easily through the body. Some of these carbohydrates and fibre rich foods also help to absorb water in the body preventing the risk of colon cancer.
- Increases and Improves Muscle mass: The glucose that is obtained from the foods is absorbed into the blood cells and rest of the glucose content gets stored in the body in the form of glycogen, so for people who want to grow their muscles, they need to consume high-quality protein to improve the glycogen storage in their body. This will help their muscles look and appear fuller alongside improving their strength that goes with the larger muscles.
- Improves the pattern of sleep: Diet rich in carbohydrates helps you sleep better, this is the result of the serotonin, this helps improve your mood as well as ensures that you have a peaceful sleep as well. People who take fewer Foods containing Carbohydrates in their diet are not able to synthesize serotonin thus they mostly suffer from insomnia and lack of proper sleep. This is the reason why you must have heard people drinking milk before they sleep, even though it is not the proper source of carbohydrates but still it works well.
Carbohydrates thus have a vast amount of benefits for our body, although they have been blamed a lot in the past for increasing the fat content in the body that is not the correct, foods rich in carbohydrates when consumed with other toppings that basically increase the calorie content in the body. Now since we have seen all the wonderful benefits that carbohydrate-rich foods in our diet provide us with, it is time to see some of the foods that are rich in carbohydrates, since most of the people might be consuming these food items but they are hardly aware of the good effects it has on their bodies.
Foods containing Carbohydrates:
- Bananas: We eat many fruits that and mostly we are not aware of their benefits at all, banana is amongst the common fruit that is consumed by many people, it is consists of 23% carbs in the form of starch and natural sugar. The green bananas are rich in starch content that gets converted into natural sugar when these bananas ripe. Other than that, these also contain a high amount of potassium, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C and because of their high potassium content, they help to lower the blood pressure and also improve the heart health.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet potatoes are delicious to eat and are rich in nutrition value. These sweet potatoes when cooked consist of 18-21% of carbohydrates in the form of starch, sugar, and fiber, which is why we feel full after just eating 1-2 pieces. These delicious tubes are rich in anti-oxidants and help to reduce the oxidative damage thus helping lower the damage of several chronic diseases. These are also a rich source of Provitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium. Thus, they are healthy to eat as well as delicious as well.
- Beetroots: Beetroots are commonly used in various households and consumed in the form of a salad, but little you know about the various health benefits it has. It is rich in carbohydrates, containing up to 10% of it in the form of sugar and fibre, with the goodness of minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and plant compounds. Beetroot is also high in organic nitrates that help reduce the risk of several chronic diseases by lowering the blood pressure, and also people who exercise more often tend to drink the beetroot juice to enhance their physical performance.
- Oranges: Oranges are many of our favorite fruits, they are also a rich source of carbohydrates as well. These essential fruits are mostly composed of water and consist of 12% of carbohydrates, they are a rich source of fibre as well. This fruit is a rich source of Vitamin C, citric acid and also consists of Vitamin B and potassium and is a good anti-oxidant. Most of the people are thus advised to eat oranges to improve their heart health as well as to prevent the kidney stones.
- Quinoa: This is one of the nutritious seeds that has recently become famous and popular in the health community. These seeds are rich in carbohydrates, containing about 22% of carbohydrate, thus making it one of the high-carb foods, whilst being a good source of protein and fibre. Quinoa is classified as a pseudocereal, a seed that is prepared and eaten like a grain is rich in many minerals and plant compounds. It is linked to many health benefits including improved blood sugar control. It is especially more beneficial as it is gluten-free making it a more suitable option for people on a gluten-free diet.
- Oats: Oats the best food in the planet, these are whole grain food and they are a great source of vitamins, minerals, and anti-oxidants. Oats are scientifically known to have 66% carbohydrate content in them amongst which 11% is the fibre content, these delicious natural foods are a good source of protein and contain a high amount of powerful soluble fibre called oat beta-glucan. Consumption of oats also helps in reducing the risks of heart diseases by lowering the cholesterol levels and blood sugar levels especially in people with type-2 diabetes, oats are also very filling and helps reduce the weight.
- Apples: There is a very popular saying that goes as “An Apple a day keeps the Doctor away” this is because Apple is rich in so many beneficiary qualities. These extensively famous fruits are rich in carbohydrates and consist of 13-15% of carbohydrate content, being a good source of vitamin C, anti-oxidant and very healthy plant compounds. They also aid in reducing the risks of heart diseases and improving the control of blood sugar.
- Kidney Beans: This is one of the common food items that are mostly cooked in various households, especially in the continents of India these food items are mostly cooked and are taken with rice, but not only these are delicious but also, they are rich in the carbohydrate content containing up to 22.8% of carbohydrates mostly in the form of starches and fibre. These foods are also rich in protein, vitamins and minerals and anti-oxidants like anthocyanins and isoflavones. Thus, helping in reducing the risk of colon cancer and improving the blood sugar control.
- Chickpeas: These are one of the most common food items and one the maximum consumed food items in the continents of India, these delicious garbanzo beans (another name for chickpeas) are a part of the legume family. These Chickpeas are rich in carbohydrate content and when cooked they contain up to 27% of carbohydrates in them amongst which 8% forms the fibre content. These delicious food items are rich in vitamins and minerals along with iron, phosphorous and B-vitamins. Chickpeas are linked to the improved heart and digestive health and also, they help prevent cancer.
- Brown Rice: It is a rich source of carbohydrates that also helps protect the body against many chronic diseases. Brown rice is a rich source of plant lignans that protect us against the heart diseases, it can also reduce the bad cholesterol and help reduce the risks of diabetes.
- Whole grain wheat flour: Whole grain wheat flour is one of the healthiest wheat flours when compared with the white flour, that is because it is a great source of fiber and prevents many digestive issues including colon cancer as one of them. Whole grain wheat flour is also rich in Vitamin B and folate.
- Nuts: There are a variety of nuts that are available in the market and some of these such as almonds, cashews, walnuts and pecans et cetera are also rich in carbohydrates and other minerals like magnesium, manganese and Vitamin E. These are some of the nutrients that are definitely required for our body and our overall health as well. You can have a cup of nuts in the morning, or you can also add those to your normal breakfast and cereal. These are tasty to eat and also have so many health benefits.
- Grapefruit: Grapefruits are subtropical citrus fruits that have sour to semi-sweet and somewhat bitter taste, these fruits are low in calories and high in nutrients that are rich in Vitamin C as well. These grapefruits are high in carbohydrate amounts and they tend to provide immunity and help in weight loss due to the availability of fibre content. These fruits can help prevent kidney stones as they contain citric acid in the right amount.
The above-given fruits and foods are some of the most common foods and fruits available in our households, that are a good source of carbohydrates in the body, indulging them in your diet will not only help you consume a proper diet but will help you maintain proper weight as well.
Along with paying attention to what you are consuming in your diet, Foods containing Carbohydrates you must also pay attention to the quality of those products as in whether they are 100% natural or not and whether or not they are organically grown so that they can provide the provide nutrition and vitamins and minerals to the body. Not all the fruits that you buy from the market are organically grown and are 100% natural, so whenever buying from any market one must keep in mind to buy the best organically grown fruits and organically grown products only.
Many brands manufacture organic products that help provide the body with natural vitamins and minerals that are very helpful for the growth of the body, but not all of these brands and companies produce and grow products organically. Owlpure is one such brand that has a range of organic products that are produced from the naturally grown ingredients, fruits and vegetables, providing the body and the mind with the right amount of vitamins and minerals content it needs. Thus, it is the rand that is mostly preferred by the customers to get the benefits of the best organic products in the market.